What Are Phytonutrients (and why are they important?)
Phytonutrients are natural chemical compounds found in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, herbs, spices, and other plant foods.“Phyto” refers to the Greek word meaning plant. Phytonutrients act as pigments, giving fruits and vegetables their vibrant color. They also protect plants from germs, fungi, bugs, UV rays, and other threats.
In your body, phytonutrients act as antioxidants and help prevent damage to cells throughout the body. Some may have positive effects on the immune system and hormones, while others act as antibacterial or antiviral agents.
There are more than 25,000 of these phytonutrients from different plant sources, with different benefits for your body. Although they may differ in structure, each phytonutrient works for the same goal: reducing oxidative damage and protecting your health.
So how do you get phytonutrients?
Foods rich in phytonutrients usually have vibrant colors. However, white foods such as onions and garlic, and even olive oil are high in these nutrients as well.
Here are some of the phytonutrients you want to include in your diet:
|Phyto-nutrients||Sources and Benefits|
|Carotenoids||• Found in yellow and orange foods like pumpkins and carrots|
• Antioxidant, vital for vision, growth, and immune system
• Boost your intake with our Carotenoid supplement.
|Flavonoids||• Loads of phytonutrients are found in a variety of plant foods|
• Protects cells from oxidative damage
• You can supplement your diet with our Organic Greens powder.
|Lutein & |
|• Tomatoes, carrots, watermelon, kale, spinach|
• These help promote healthy vision
• Boost intake with our Carotenoid supplement and Organic Greens
|Resveratrol||• Sources include red wine, peanuts, berries, and grapes|
• Powerful antioxidant, promotes cell defense, energy, repair
• Our Resveratrol product is 13X more powerful than resveratrol alone
|• Chardonnay grape seeds|
• Protects cells from damage, promotes healing, circulation
• You can boost this phytonutrient with our Brain supplement.
|Curcumin||• Found in turmeric root|
• A powerful antioxidant, promotes healthy brain and joints
• Add antioxidant power to your day with our Tumeric Boost powder.
|Allicin||• Found in garlic and onions|
• Helps control bad cholesterol and regulates blood pressure
• Increase your intake with our Garlic Complex!
|Catechins||• Found in green tea|
• Helps promote weight loss and helps prevent cell damage
• Energize your day with our Green Tea
It doesn’t have to be complicated to get the phytonutrients you need.
Think about it like eating a rainbow of colorful fruits and vegetables and have fun with it.
For more information on any of the above-mentioned products, contact me at Jerry@fit4lifellc.com, or visit my Wellness Center.